The iPhone has revolutionized the abilities of the smartphone. No matter what phone you purchase, there is an iPhone influence to its apps and features. One of the most popular features of the iPhone is its ability to become a WiFi hotspot.
This allows users to connect their laptops, tablets and other wireless devices to their iPhones and get online. For those who have never used this feature, here are the steps for turning it on.
Turn your iPhone into a WiFi Hotspot
- Many carriers offer the ability to tether your iPhone. Each carrier has different charges and prices will vary depending on your service. Before you tether your iPhone, contact your carrier for details and avoid surprise charges.
- Only iPhone 3G or later support tethering. Be sure your iPhone is capable.
- To enable tethering, tap Settings, then tap General, and tap Network.
- There you will see the Personal Hotspot option. Tap it.
- Next you will want to secure your new personal hotspot. For this you will need to tap the WiFi Password option. This will assure only you can connect to your iPhone hotspot.
- Type in the password you would like to use and then tap Done.
- Finally slide the Personal Hotspot option to ON. Now your iPhone is ready to connect to and share your internet.
Connecting to your iPhone Hotspot
Your iPhone has now created a new wireless network for your laptop or tablet to connect to. In order to connect to your new hotspot, open your wireless networks on your device and you will see a wireless network that matches your iPhone device name. Simply click connect for that network and you will be prompted for the password you chose. Enter the password and you will be able to connect and surf the web anywhere you have a mobile signal.
Free App Options
iTetherThere have been apps created that will also allow tethering for free. While many carriers carry a fee for the service, these apps bypass that fee and allow you to connect for free. iTether is one of those apps that is available for download in the App Store. Other app creators have also hidden the free tethering option within other apps. By searching online you can find which apps allow tethering and is still available.
The iPhone is a great tool for anyone trying to optimize their productivity and entertainment. With the tethering feature, you can add internet access for your mobile devices in places where WiFi hotspots are not available.
Author: John Deschamp is a network administrator and freelance blogger for highspeedinternet.net, a site he often recommends to those looking to learn more about how various types of high speed internet connections differ.
Like this post? Please share with your friends too..